WHAT IS ACUPUNCTURE?
Acupuncture is used to stimulate the natural chemicals your pet’s body produces to promote healing and harmony. Acupuncture points have a high density of nerves, blood vessels, and lymphatic channels. Stimulating these areas sends signals to the brain to release endorphins, blood cells, stem cells, and growth factors to improve your pet’s tolerance to pain and improve healing.
WHAT IS CHIROPRACTIC?
Like acupuncture, chiropractic is used to maintain homeostasis, or balance, to one’s body. Slight malignments to your pet’s body can cause pain and discomfort. By helping put these areas back and place can make your pet feel less pain and move better.
WHAT CONDITIONS BENEFIT FROM ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES?
Most ailments benefit from alternative therapies. These include:
- Pain from arthritis
- IVDD, FCE (back pain)
- Neck pain
- Nervous system disorders
- Poor athletic performance
- Anhydrosis (non-sweaters in horses)
- Rehabilitation after surgery
- Heart disease
- Digestive problems
- Hormone imbalances (diabetes, hypothyroidism, Cushing’s, Addison’s disease)
- Behavioral problems
WHAT ARE CHINESE HERBS?
Chinese herbs are used to maximize the effects of acupuncture and improve your pet’s response to treatment. To ensure your pet gets the best response, only high-quality, medicinal grade products are prescribed. These are not to be confused with herbal supplements as herbal medicine is more potent and available by prescription only. There are over 200 formulas that Dr. Boeche can choose from based on your pet’s needs.
WHAT IS A TYPICAL VISIT WITH DR. BOECHE LIKE?
At your pet’s first visit, Dr. Boeche will perform a traditional veterinary exam and Chinese veterinary exam. Please have your pet’s medical records emailed to our office before their first visit so Dr. Boeche can be more familiar with your pet’s needs. Some questions will be asked about your pet’s natural tendencies to tailor their treatment (see article on Chinese Five Elements).
After the evaluation is complete, Dr. Boeche will discuss acupuncture, chiropractic, and herbal medicine treatments. Most pets receive their first treatment the same day as well as follow-up instructions with your regular veterinarian and Dr. Boeche. If another medical condition is found during your pet’s visit such as an ear infection or a new bump, we will refer your pet back to their regular veterinarian for follow-up care.
WHERE IS DR. BOECHE’S OFFICE?
Dr. Boeche is located in Granbury, Texas. House calls are preferred as your pet feels safe, relaxed, and responds better to their treatment. For our small animal patients, we can meet you and your pet at select veterinary hospitals in Granbury if house calls are not an option.
Please click here to see the areas that we service. If you do not see your area highlighted, please contact us so we can get your pet seen.
WHY USE ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE?
Alternative medicine is used to improve your pet’s response to traditional western therapies. Acupuncture and chiropractic care has been shown to increase your pet’s tolerance to pain, speed up the time of recovery from injury, and help prevent recurring conditions from returning.
ARE THERE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ACUPUNCTURE?
Dr. Boeche uses a combination of the following depending on your pet’s needs:
- Dry needling: only needles inserted.
- Electroacupuncture: a gentle stimulation unit connected to acupuncture needles in your pet.
- Aquapuncture: injecting liquid at specific acupuncture points to stimulate them for a longer period time. Diluted vitamin B12 or the pet’s own blood are used.
- Moxa: herbal acupuncture. Please let us know prior to your pet’s appointment if you are sensitive to smells and/or smoke as this involves burning herbal medicine.
- Laser therapy: using a medical-grade laser to stimulate the acupuncture point.
- Acupressure: massaging the acupuncture point.
HOW QUICKLY CAN I EXPECT TO SEE RESULTS?
Pets usually respond faster when treated for conditions affecting the bones, joints, and nervous system. Internal medicine diseases such as allergies, heart disease, hormone imbalances, digestive issues, and behavioral disorders can take longer to see positive effects.
It takes most patients one to three treatments before a significant improvement is seen. Please be aware that chronic, ongoing diseases may take as many as three to six treatments before an improvement is seen. Your pet’s response to their treatment improves once they are on a recommended herbal medicine and when at-home care instructions are followed. Alternative therapies have a cumulative effect, so it is best to have your pet on a regular schedule once they are back to their optimal self.
DOES MY PET NEED TO BE SEDATED?
Most pets love acupuncture and chiropractic! Sedation is rarely used as this can slow your pet’s response to their treatment. Dr. Boeche uses needles that are smaller than what are used to give vaccines. Dr. Boeche also uses alternative acupuncture methods such as moxa, laser therapy, and acupressure.
- Initial consultation and treatment for dogs and cats: $200
- Follow-up consultation and treatment for dogs and cats (within six months from last visit): $175
- Consultation and treatment for horses (initial and follow-up): $200
- Prices include house call charge within Granbury city limits. An additional 0-$80 may apply depending on your pet’s location. Please call us to see if an additional house call charge applies.
Herbal Medicine: $30-60 for dogs and cats, $150-200 for horses. Price is based on the average patient per month.